Wednesday, January 28, 2009


Evening all, just giving a brief heads up about how surgery went.

First of all: damn, what a week for surgery. We got an ice storm from hell in Kentucky this week and it has shut down the town for two days for the most part. We got over an inch of ice, and needless to say it is freaking nasty outside. The hospital remained open, and so did the pharmacy I got my pain pills from (a friend of mine who got his wisdom teeth out yesterday wasn't so lucky).

As predicted, I couldn't sleep worth a damn last night. I think I tried to go to bed at 1, got up around 2:30, tried at 3, got up, tried at 4... eventually fell asleep and got about an hour of sleep, woohoo?

At the hospital, everything went very very well. Everyone was very nice, I even got in early since I showed up a little bit early. The pre-op physical showed I'm still healthy as a horse, although I'm not sure how that's possible with how much I've been eating like shit lately, haha.

Today was the first time I had ever had an IV for any reason, and I have to say I'm surprised at how fast medicine works when you get it that way, damn! First time they gave me something they said "We're giving you a drug to help you relax. It's like Valium but better." I said, "so I'll start feeling good pretty so --- ooohhhh." Then when I got to the OR shortly thereafter, I got to watch them setup briefly, then heard "You're going to sleep now" and woke up two hours later. I wish I could have fallen asleep like that last night.

Today I've just been bumming around all day. I'm drugged up on vicodin, but I sure can't feel a thing so long as I use my crutches. I got really light headed / nausiated when I got up a bit earlier, but the medicine they gave me for that worked like a charm too.

Thats all for now. Expect frequent updates, I'm hoping to use this as a recovery log for at least the next week or two. Thanks for all the support, too :)


nwgdc said...

Sounds like things are going well! When I had my wisdom teeth yanked earlier this fall, the gas had no effect, so they went the IV route. I had the same experience...I don't the ink the doctor had finished his sentence before I felt it lace up my arm. Amazing (and kinda scary) stuff!

Run For Life said...

I'm glad to hear the surgery went well and that the pharmacy was open! Hopefully you'll be able to catch up on that missed sleep from last night. Take it easy. :)

Ax said...

Glad to hear things went well for you. Hopefully you'll recover quickly nad be back on your feet soon.