Thursday, August 16, 2007

New Home, New Runs, New People

Ah, the joys of moving to a new state. Two weeks ago I moved to Kentucky for graduate school at University of Kentucky, and everything associated with it has been going great; especially the running!

The amount of group runs down here is simply amazing, and with just a few switches they all fit my schedule. So far I've done group runs on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday. I'm planning to start doing long runs with a group on Saturdays, and just heard about a run on Wednesday morning. If nothing else, all these are definitely turning me into a morning person; most of them finish as the sun comes up!

It isn't only the amount of the group runs, but the quantity of the runners too. Even at 5:30am there will be 15-20 runners out and ready to roll. Some fast, some slow, but all of them are friendly.

It has been great getting out on new routes lately too. Most of the places I ran in Peoria the average person would consider suicide attempts, but I made due with what I had. There aren't as many monster hills here as in Peoria, but all the terrain is rolling, its very rarely flat. Also, nearly every road has either a sidewalk, a large shoulder, or both. All in all running has been much more pleasant here, the only downside has been this nasty heat wave; but the morning runs are mostly alleviating that.

Injury wise, training has been going great. My right ankle was giving me some nagging problems a few weeks ago but has been fine recently. If my long run this Saturday goes well, I'm 95% sure I'll be in the clear for Chicago since this is the first of my 20 milers.

52 days until Chicago!

Happy running,


-Doug

No comments: