Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Temptation

temptation

noun
1. something that seduces or has the quality to seduce
2. the desire to have or do something that you know you should avoid; "he felt the temptation and his will power weakened"
3. the act of influencing by exciting hope or desire


I woke up today feeling great. Especially my hip; even better than it did on Saturday morning, and I wasn't all drugged up on Tylenol or Aleve! I put on my shorts, shoes, and Detroit Marathon technical shirt. It was a wonderful 60 degrees outside. I had my heart rate monitor and Garmin on. iPod in one hand, water bottle in the other. Everything seemed so perfect.

I went down the stairs, but I couldn't hit the roads. Not today, not this week. This week is to let my hip heal no matter how good it feels; no matter how tempted I am to just put in a few miles. I had to go grind it out on the exercise bike again.

When I got to the exercise room, someone was on the bike (he was probably going about 30 RPM's and had the resistance set on level 1, but I won't go off about that right now!). This made it all the more tempting to just go run. After asking him how much he had left in his 'workout' I went back up to my room for 15 minutes, and came back down the stairs. Again I had to make the decision not to run, even though everything was absolutely perfect for a run. Sixty degrees, light breeze, sunny...

Resisting temptation again, I got on the bike. But after being tempted by a real workout three times already, I wasn't content to just pedal for an hour; today was one good workout! I revved it up to level 12 resistance (out of how many, who knows), and started pumping. Most of the time I was going about 100-105 rpm's, except for my 10 minutes easy in the middle, and 5 minutes at the end.

I feel like I got a great workout in, but not nearly as good as if I had gone out and run today. I'm really starting to miss the feeling of a great run; its been over a week since I really got a good run in.

Workout details:

Time: 1 hour
Distance: 23.25 miles
Avg. Heart Rate: 153
Max Heart Rate: 172

2 comments:

Dave Fleet said...

Hi Doug,

Just found your blog - great stuff! I'll keep tuning in.

Good work on the bike; I always struggle to get my heart rate up and keep it there when I'm cycling.

Cheers,

Dave

Anonymous said...

Good job opting for the bike. I love a great outdoor ride but dread the stationary bike. I have found that I can read alot of great books while I am on it.