Friday, January 25, 2008

It's Contagious

Several months ago I posted about getting other people hooked on running. Its a hobby of mine. There's just something about getting other people to think "wow... you know, I think I could run a marathon! Me!"

Today I was talking with my friend Lewis, who was kind enough to let me stay at his place before the Chicago Marathon last year. The one who unexpectedly got hooked on running just by watching the race. He mentioned today he ran two miles in less than 20 minutes, so I started joking with him a little bit ago, our conversation went something like this:

Doug: So.. you know registration for Chicago opens in a week, right?
Lewis: Haha, I hope you're not suggesting that I register. Unless they allow 6 hour finishes!
D: Actually, uh, they do.
L: ..What's it cost?
D: A lot. $110
L: Oh geez

...

D: If you finish, I'll pay half.
L: You don't have to do that. I don't think I could do it anyways.

I was dead serious with my offer, even though I knew him well enough that he wouldn't take it (whats $55 to 'give' running to a friend?). But it is exactly what I needed to do to show him how serious I was. He caught the drift. I convinced him otherwise.

We talked about training. I sent him a link to the NOVA Marathon series. I convinced him just how much can be accomplished in 9 months. Then it happened: "man, that'd be so cool if I could do it. What would I have to be running a month before the race?"

So I told him if he is running 15-25 miles per week by June 1st, he'll be right on schedule to pick up Hal Higdon's marathon plan, which I used to get through my first marathon.

He's going to do it. He just doesn't know it yet. I'm pumped.

I wonder who my victim will be next time. I'll have to start taking names.

3 comments:

Marcy said...

How about me? Damn son, I could use some running funds :P LOL JK!

Stuart said...

Stealth...nice! 8^) the glasses are part of the disguise!

Nancy said...

Hee hee, very nice. I'm so jealous. I was so close before the feet imploded. Maybe this year... 8D