Sunday, August 26, 2007

Weekly recap: 8/20 to 8/26

Another week, another bunch of miles. Heres the details:

Monday: Rest day. Did a lot of stretching to loosen up from my crazy amount of miles the previous two days.

Tuesday: 7 miles, some of it hilly and run fast.

Wednesday: 5 1/2 miles recovery.

Thursday: 7 miles, tempo run. Three miles of it was fast, the rest at a fairly relaxed pace.

Friday: Rest day, no running. Did an ab workout because I've been slacking in that department.

Saturday: 12 mile long run. This was a step back week since I had 21 miles last Saturday and 21 or 24 next Saturday. I did the first 10 miles with Val. When he said he had to slow down I took it as a cue to take off for the last few miles. Last three miles: 6:37, 6:40, 6:31.

Sunday: 5 mile tempo run. I got new shoes today, Mizuno Wave Riders, and was taking them for a test run with Bluegrass Runners. This turned into a great run since I didn't run as much on Saturday. Once I got going, I just kept pushing until I backed off the last mile. Splits were: 6:58, 6:46, 6:28, 6:07, 6:37.

Total miles: 37 and change.

*************************************

All in all, a great week of training even if the volume was down a bit. I've been fighting with my right foot a little bit when not running. It still has never hurt me during a run. I got new shoes today in hopes that the old ones might be to blame. If the discomfort doesn't go away, the two remaining culprits are: running with my water bottle always in the left hand and always running on the left side of the road.

Next week, the heat gets turned back up. I plan to run Yasso 800's on Thursday to gauge my fitness. This is where you run 10x 800m at your goal marathon time in hours:minutes, converted to minutes:seconds. For example, I want to run 2:50 to 3:00 (hours:minutes) for the marathon, so each 800 should be 2:50 to 3:00 (minutes:seconds). I also will have a 21 or 24 mile run on Saturday, I am going to play this by ear pending how I feel after 21 miles.

No comments: