Thursday, October 18, 2007

Let It Rain!

Last night I was looking at the forecast, and it was looking like rain all day today. I woke up, anxiously looked outside, and it was sunny! What!? Oh well, I guess the rain clouds knew I was looking forward to a rainy run today.

My hip was feeling really good, so I laced up, threw my shorts on, and out the door I went! I tried out a new course today, which mostly avoids busy roads, although they can't be avoided completely in town.

About two or three miles into my run, it happened. It started to rain, oh yeah! It only lasted about 5 minutes or so, but it really felt good while it lasted. I'll take what I can get!

I admittedly didn't run as slow today as I was planning to. I wanted to hold it at 7:30 per mile. I started about this pace, and was pretty pleased with it, so I stopped paying attention to my pace. Oops! My legs just naturally fall into the marathon pace I had been teaching them all summer. My splits were: 7:25, 7:15, 7:09, 6:52. Still way too fast, I know. I gotta calm down the engine a little bit the next week or so.

Afterwards my hip is feeling pretty okay. It doesn't hurt when I walk forward, but if I side step around something or turn sharply it gets a little pain in it. This is much better than a few weeks ago. Normally it would be hurting by now, even if I was drugged up on Aleve, which I haven't taken for about a week now!

I have another A.R.T. treatment tomorrow, which might be my last one. I'm thinking I might do one more on Monday just in case, but I'll decide that based on how my hip feels in the morning.

I'm not letting myself get too excited, not until I'm able to run comfortably for a week. Even so, I'm very optimistic right now! I can really feel the progress my hip is making! If I run again on Saturday I'll have my highest weekly mileage in six weeks (not counting the marathon), rock on!

Happy running,

-Doug

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh Yeah, I try to hold it at 7:30 all the time and it just isn't happening. hee hee. :D

I'm so glad you are finding some relief and maybe on the mend.

Marcy said...

LMAO Nancy!! Yeah tell me about it. 7:30 . . .yeah that would be my 5K pace HAHAHAHAA.

Let's hope that hip gets better ASAP! Looks good otherwise ;D

Jonathan said...

You just wait...someday I will beat you at SOMETHING.

nwgdc said...

woo hoo to A.R.T.! you know, i might stick with it..there might be something to it!