Friday, October 19, 2007

Round Three with A. R. T.

Well, theres good news and bad news. Lets start with the bad so I can finish on a good note!

The bad news is that my hip wasn't feeling all that great when I woke up. Not horrible, but not good. Maybe the 4 1/2 miles yesterday was too much (too fast) too soon? It felt good yesterday, even hours later. I thought getting out there really helped loosen everything up, but that all fell apart when I walked to class this morning.

The good news? Another problem area was found, and fixing it could help stabilize my hips a little more when I run, which will prevent more damage from being done. Basically, my glutes are two big knots right now. They don't hurt to walk with, but I think when I'm running my body is avoiding using them, which is straining everything else. He started working on them today, and they were more tender than the TFL in my left hip! I was told to stretch 2-3 times a day this weekend, then go for a one mile run to loosen things up and see how it does.

Also, my deductible is eaten up now, so return visits for more A.R.T. treatment are going to be cheap for me! $12 bucks a pop from here on out; hey, I'll take it!

Even though I was a little sore when I woke up today, I think progress is still being made. I felt worlds better this morning than I did a few weeks ago the morning after running. The problems are identified and just need to be fixed. I also know what I need to do to fix them, now all that is left is to execute the plan!

Game plan:
  • Keep alternating heat and cold on my hip
  • Stretch 2-3 times a day
  • Go for an easy one mile run to loosen things up
  • 30-40 minutes on the exercise bike
  • Self massage for my glutes to try and get the knots out
  • Put Biofreeze (Icy-hot off shot?) sample on my hip a few times
  • More A.R.T. on Monday
  • Massage on Tuesday or Thursday
Here's to a weekend of homework, stretching, homework, ice, homework, heat, homework, homework, homework, and rest.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

I hope it works for you. It's nice to have some answers and just need to execute. Have a icy/hot weekend. :)

Bill Carter said...

Glutes can really mess you up. As runners we sometimes think that it is all quads, hammys, and calves when in fact the glutes are crucial as well. Knowing what is going wrong can only help you.

Hope you do Myrtle... I think we could both go sub 3 there and that would be awesome.

Jess said...

You gotta love it once that deductible is gone!

Marcy said...

Gotta get some lovely lady in there to massage the glutes. Forget doing it yourself :P