Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Next Step

Well, I'm making the physical therapy thing official. I haven't decided where I'm going yet, but have it narrowed down to two places. I might consider others if I hear back from some friends fairly soon, but right now the two players are Buffalo Run and KORT. Both seem to have physical therapists with very good resumes.

The former is a smaller group, but one of the therapists has an interest in running. The latter is a very reputable organization that is all over the state. I haven't seen any of their PT's profile's have anything about running, but I assume somewhere in their network is someone with an interest, and I could likely get sent to them if I need to. I'm going to give it a little thought tonight and give one of them a call tomorrow. If you've had any experience with PT's and know what I should be looking for, I would really appreciate any feedback.

When I got to the chiropractor today, they had their dog there. Since I was a few minutes early, I got to have a little fun and play with him while I waited! It was fun, but it reminded me that I want to get a dog still. I told Beth (Mike's wife) my story and she admitted to me she had this dog at an apartment that didn't allow them for a whole year, makes it tempting!

Today Mike pushed running on me a little too hard. He suggested going out for a run tonight or tomorrow to see how my hip reacts. Then he suggested it again. And again. Eventually he gave it up, I wasn't going to budge. I've been here for two months: I get back to feeling 95% recovered, I run, and I'm back to square one. He's the professional, but I've been living with it for the past two months. I can see the pattern. Us computer scientists are good at patterns.

I haven't cut things off though, not yet anyways. A.R.T. is very good for treating the symptoms I have. It will clear up the aches, at the cost of it hurting like hell for the time I'm in his office. Hopefully these aches will go away with some time off from running, and I can call it quits on the A.R.T.

Last night my left leg started tightening up on me. I'm not sure why. I stretched out my glutes and hammies pretty good, but it wasn't perfect. Today its still sort of there, and after A.R.T. my left leg is especially uncomfortable. Walking doesn't hurt necessarily, but it causes some discomfort, especially in my hamstrings.

I'm somewhat relieved that I'm officially on break from running. The highs and lows I have been going through the past two months were not pleasant at all. For now, at least, I'm happy living in the comfortable middle ground. Hopefully adequate rest and physical therapy will be enough to get me back to living the high life. I look forward to it.

4 comments:

nwgdc said...

as long as this is just a "break" and not a full-fledged "break up." these kind of things never end well...lots of hard feelings, tearful calls after too many drinks, embarrassing stories coming to light...

Tri+Umph said...

Its just a break. I told her I'll still think about her a lot, but we really can't see each other for a few weeks. Its for the best.

If I end up forgetting about her, you have my number to secretly set us up on a blind date.

Bill Carter said...

Just hang in there and do what you are doing. Really, you have to trust what your body is telling you and not listen to other people. You know your body better than even a professional ever could.

You've got a long time to get better before Myrtle Beach next February...

Marcy said...

ROFLMAO you two!!

Yes, as long as it's just a break, I think things will be good. You know what they say "absence makes the heart grow fonder"

Hey man, I have NO part in what you write in your posts :P Makes me wonder what what other things you were grouped with during that search . . .probably a lot of dirty sites HAHAHAHHA! You are officially going in the gutter with the rest of us.