Sunday, September 2, 2007

2.36 Miles of Awesome

Today I had my first run since Wednesday, and it was wonderful. I made it a short one, just in case. I wasn't going to get a huge benefit out of a simple five mile run anyways, so I treated this run solely as a test for my ankle. It passed with a B+ or so.

It never hurt during the run, but it started to feel a little tired towards the end. I think it just needs to get loosened up a little bit. After this run I am planning to commence normal training on Tuesday, with the possibility of another test run if I get antsy tomorrow.

Getting out on the roads felt great today, though. The first block or two was vary cautious, as it should have been, listening intently to my ankle. Although after that, I just got into it and went a little faster than I should have. It also helped that every time I come back from an injury, it seems people are waiting for me. Today I was running down the side walk by a fairly busy road, and a car full of strangers honked, waved, and cheered me on as I was going along. Great boost after having a couple days off!

Afterwards everything felt good. I kept icing my ankle afterwards as a precaution, and I will continue to do so for the next week or so.

I'm continuing with my array of different ankle stretches, on both ankles now. I've also been doing a few different ankle strengthening exercises to try and beef up my ankles so they stop getting injured so easily.

Its great to be back!

Happy running,

-Doug

1 comment:

Jes said...

Congratulations on the run! I am so happy for you! And I'm sorry to hear about all the homework, but I will be honest... when the classes are over you kind of miss the homework... (or maybe I really am just that much of a nerd. lol)