Friday, September 14, 2007

Massage & Nutrition

Today was day one of making a few changes to my diet. It isn't full swing yet, but I'm giving it a go. I'm going to list what I ate today so it is open to public scrutiny and will help me get things right. You will notice I eat very, very frequently.

7:00 Frosted Mini Wheats for breakfast
8:00 Drank about 12-16oz of water during class
9:00 Banana after class
10-11 OJ/Blackberry Smoothie (made too much, but drank all of it. About 4 cups worth)
11:00 Rice for lunch (about 650 calories worth)
12:30 Apple on the way to office hours
1:50 Clif bar after office hours
3:30 Apple on the way to my massage
6:30 Left over hamburger helper for dinner
6:30 Chocolate milk with dinner

I will still probably eat something before bed. I don't know what, but I'll be hungry again soon! Update: I started eating again before I finished writing this, some Wheat Thins.

As you see above, I got a massage today. It felt pretty good (duh) and left my legs feeling great! My legs were extremely, extremely tight; which could likely be a cause of the injury in my hip. I do know from prior knowledge that tight muscles lead to injury, so it isn't just masseuse-trying-to-get-my-money hype. She recommended not running for two days afterwards, but honestly, two days off because of a massage? I think not!

My left hip is feeling pretty good afterwards. I plan to at least go for a test run tomorrow, even if I don't make it my prescribed 13 miles. I really need to not take any risks so close to the race; even if I end up having to take a 4 week taper as opposed to 2 week, I'll still be in shape to run under 3 hours. Taking a stupid risk could end up with me not even making it to the start line!

On a more flatulent note: since having my massage I've has a serious case of gas. I don't know if this is normal or not, but I thought I would attack your unsuspecting senses with a mental whiff. I don't see anywhere in my blog description: "I'm trying to woo the ladies with my very appropriate writing topics which have nothing to do with the secretion of gas," so I thought I would share that with you all. Enjoy!

-Doug

2 comments:

Jes said...

I hope that you also drank plenty of water following your massage. I was unaware of this rule after my first massage and I guess the toxins that were released from the massage caused me to have one of the worst headaches. The next time I went back I told them what happened, and they told me I need to drink more water to flush the toxins out. Note to self.

Tri+Umph said...

Thanks for the tip, Jes! I've been really hydrated today, so I don't think it'll be a problem. But I just went ahead and polished off my orange juice to be on the safe side!