Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year!

I hope everybody had a fun and safe New Years last night; I know I did!

After I got home this afternoon, on National Hangover Day, I made an attempt at a five mile run; but couldn't quite make it all the way since it was a little colder outside than I thought. I made it about 4 1/2 miles, but the last bit just wasn't happening. I was having similar issues to Steve a few weeks ago, which was nothing I wanted to mess with anymore!

Once I finished I took care of things to make sure there WASN'T any frostbite down there; and luckily it looks like I made it through unscathed! Maybe I could have made it that last half mile without losing anything, but thats one risk I wasn't wanting to take; maybe if I had another layer or two on.

The run really took a lot out of me. Running with a hangover always drains every last bit of energy out of me for the rest of the day, so I'm not surprised. Since the run I've spent the day being a lazy bum watching movies, and its been everything it sounds like it would be.

In my adventures of watching massive amounts of TV, I have a new favorite commercial from Nike:



Nic - I'll think about doing Flying Pig, its not too far from where I live. Its mostly friends who are fairly new to running trying to talk me into doing a race with them, rather than the reputation of the event. Maybe I could do both, who knows?

Nancy - If you want to give my training log a shot, send me an email and I'll get it to ya! My email is TheRelentlessRunner at gmail dot com.

6 comments:

Marcy said...

You all need one of those little Hot Hands bags (that are used to stick in your pockets to warm your hands) and tape em to your "area" or something. That's just craziness. If I ever felt my "area" was in jeopardy I'd have to run around with a blowdryer down my pants and a really long extension cord :P

Steve Stenzel said...

Whew! Glad you made it through OK!! Happy New Year!!!

Jess said...

I was too hungover to run yesterday -- glad you got something in!

Stuart said...

Here's to an injury free year for us both!

As for the cold, can't you get an extension lead and run laps wearing an electric blanket?!?

Nancy said...

Now there's an injury I've never thought about.

Yep, that would be great. I'll send you an email! :D

Bill Carter said...

Hey man...

It sounds like you had a great New Year and that is the way it is just supposed to be. Honest to goodness, when I run in the cold I feel like my energy is just being sapped. I am not really a great cold weather person in the first place. Interesting to hear that you are thinking of doing some halfs... I often consider them myself. I don't know exactly what I am doing next year as I am also considering a 50 mile ultra.. crazy I know.
BTW, if you do the Pig you will love it. Great organization and just some of the nicest people.
Best of luck.